Friday, April 19, 2013

What Options Do I Have if the EPFO Grievance Redressal Does Not Work?

In the previous article titled "Can I Get my PF Related Grievances Addressed?" we had taken a look at the EPFO's Grievance Redressal Mechanism. As with any process involving Government Officials, there are chances that our request gets lost in the sheer volume of requests. So, if that is the case, what options to we have?

Well, the only option we have in such a scenario is to use our constitutional right of "Right To Information or RTI"

The purpose of this article is to help us understand, how to use the RTI system to find out what happened to the Grievance we filed. Remember - The RTI Can be used only after our Grievance garners no response after the 30 day waiting period. If you file an RTI before, there is practically no information that you can request. So, if you have any issues with EPFO, file your Grievance first and if that doesnt work, use RTI.

Steps to Submit your Right To Information Request:

Step 1: Buy a postal order from any Post Office. The charge for this is Rs. 10. This should be in favour of the Accounts Officer of the concerned EPFO Office.

Step 2: Start Drafting a detailed letter to the RTI. Make sure you mention the subject of the letter as: “Seeking Information Under the RTI Act 2005”

The Letter has to be addressed to the "Central Public Information Officer, Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation" of your Concerned EPF Office. If you do not know the address of your regional EPF Office, you can find the same from the EPF website through this link:

Step 3: Furnish As much details as possible

Mention all required details, such as your Full Name, EPF account number, and your contact information including Address, telephone number and email ID. Then, clearly state your various queries, without leaving out any information that would be required.

For ex: If your grievance was related to a PF Withdrawal request that was submitted in November 2012, make sure you mention the same. If you just mention that your Withdrawal Request hasnt been looked into, chances of delay are significantly higher.

Step 4: End the letter with the following declaration:

“I do hereby declare that I am a citizen of India. I request you to ensure that the information is provided before the expiry of the 30 day period after you have received the application”

Step 5: At the end of the letter, mention the proof of payment of fees as - Proof of payment of application fee: Attached Indian Postal Order for Rs. 10 /- dated dd/mm/yyyy favoring “Accounts Officer of EPFO” as application fee.

Step 6: Finish the Letter by Signing it along with Date.

Step 7: Send your letter by Speed Post or Registered Post. Couriers will not be accepted.

Step 8: Wait for 30 days and You should receive a response within 30 days as per the RTI Act.

Hope this helped. Best of luck!!!


  1. you can write to directorate of public grievances - - for sure you will get a reply. It worked for me.

    RTI may not be suitable idea.

    1. Thanks for sharing this link !


© 2013 by All rights reserved. No part of this blog or its contents may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of the Author.


Popular Posts

Important Disclaimer

All the contents of this blog are the Authors personal opinion only and are not endorsed by any Company. This website or Author does not provide stock recommendations. The purpose of this blog is to educate people about the financial industry and to share my opinion about the day to day happenings in the Indian and world economy. Contents described here are not a recommendation to buy or sell any stock or investment product. The Author does not have any vested interest in recommending or reviewing any Investment Product discussed in this Blog. Readers are requested to perform their own analysis and make investment decisions at their own personal judgement and the site or the author cannot be claimed liable for any losses incurred out of the same.